08/21/13 - Miami Herald - Cuban hurdler abandons team
HAVANA -- The Cuban track and field federation says hurdler Orlando Ortega
has not returned to the country after competing in the world championships
in Russia last week.
The federation said in a statement Wednesday that Ortega "abandoned" the
Cuban delegation that competed in Moscow.
The 22-year-old Ortega did not make it past the first qualifying race in
the 110 hurdles in Russia, finishing sixth in his heat with a time of 13.69
Considered one of Cuba's best hurdlers since Dayron Robles, Ortega was
sixth at the 2012 London Olympics and had the third-best time of the season
heading into Moscow.
Ortega ran in the worlds after the Cuban federation dismissed a six-month
discipline ban handed to him for refusing to compete in an event in Moscow
Original Source / Fuente Original:
CUBA-L FAIR USE NOTICE
This server contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of Cuba's political, economic, human rights, international, cultural, educational, scientific, sports and historical issues, among others. We distribute the materials on the basis of a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107. The material is distributed without profit. The material should be used for information, research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/ uscode/17/107.shtml.